The Role of a Speech Pathologist
If you are an aspiring speech pathologist, what can be the most important benefit of your chosen career? Surprisingly, I found that there are several! It’s amazing how many people don’t realize the incredible benefits of this profession. But I think the top benefit is that you will have the opportunity to help tremendously those people who are less fortunate than yourself. Here are just a few:
* Become a better friend and family caregiver – One of the biggest benefits of becoming a speech therapist from SureStartHealth is that you will be providing individual and group counselling with patients who are having a hard time communicating or expressing themselves. It often occurs to those with cerebral palsy, stroke or mental retardation. The goal of speech therapy is really to increase the communication abilities of these individuals. Speech therapists also often work with individuals who have physical disabilities. They work with them to improve motor function and regain the use of their limbs.
* Help a loved one – Can you imagine having the joy and privilege of helping a loved one who has difficulty communicating? You will be helping this person regain the ability to communicate. As a speech pathologist, you will be providing individual and group therapy in the comfort and privacy of your own home. The benefits of this are endless! As a speech therapist, you can help improve the quality of life for someone in pain.
* Improve yourself – Did you know that a speech pathologist Adelaide can specialize in a specific area of speech pathology? Not only can you specialize in disorders that affect the voice, but you can also specialize in disorders of the throat, ears, mouth or bones. You can treat a wide range of disorders and illnesses! It is a wonderful career that can help you in so many areas. Plus, you can take additional classes to advance your education and your career. Many times, graduate school can even help you with getting a job in this field.
* The benefits for you – What other profession provides such amazing benefits? The benefits of working as a speech pathologist Adelaide include being able to work from home. You can take care of your family as well. You don’t have to drive to work every day. You don’t have to wake up early and get ready. You can work as long or as little as you want or need to.
* Develop a superior work ethic – Professional growth is one of the most important benefits you receive as a speech pathologist. It includes learning to improve your listening skills and enhancing your oral health. As a speech pathologist, you will learn to recognize swallowing problems and correct them. You will learn how to teach yourself and others proper swallowing techniques. You will also improve your language development through language development courses and practice.
* Practice in all types of special settings – You will always be learning in your job settings. It includes learning about new research techniques, appropriate vocabulary, basic anatomy, and the physiology of the human voice. Speech-language pathologists must focus on their professional work and their community service work. If you work with children or the elderly, you may work with these groups as well.
You will find that the most common specialties are pediatric speech-language pathologist, speech pathology and audiologist. Other specialties in the list provide additional benefits if you consider a career change into one of these areas. You will need to do your own research to determine which area suits you best. For example, there are specific studies for pediatric speech-language pathologists and those for audiology.